"Walk Safe, Cross Safe, Be Safe"
Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Cross the street at crosswalks
- If there are no crosswalks, cross at the street corner.
- Look left, right and left again before crossing the street.
- Continue looking until safely across the street.
- When crossing at an intersection, pedestrians should check for vehicles turning the corner.
- Make eye contact with the drivers, so you know they see you.
- DO NOT cross between parked cars.
- DO NOT run out into the street.
- Use sidewalks
- Sidewalks are the best choice as they separate people walking from cars.
- Stay alert
- Be on the look-out for cars, especially backing out of driveways or turning.
- Don't wear headphones or be using your cell phone or other devices while walking.
Bicycle Safety Tips
- Wear a helmet
- Make sure your helmet fits properly
- Check your Equipment
- Are your tires inflated?
- Are your brakes working?
- Does your bike fit?
- Stand over your bicycle. There should be 1 to 2 inches between you and the top tube (bar) if using a road bike and 3 to 4 inches if a mountain bicycle.
- The seat should be level front to back.
- The seat height should be adjusted to allow a slight bend at the knew when the leg is fully extended.
- The handlebar height should be at the same level with the seat.
- Wear Safe Clothes and Reflective Gear
- Wear bright colors like neon and florescent shirts or jackets.
- Wear something that reflects light, such as reflective tape or markings, or flashing lights.
- Remember, just because you can see a driver, doesn't mean the driver can see you.
- Control Your Bicycle
- Keep both hands on the handlebars.
- Carry your books and other items in a backpack on bike carrier.
- Look Before Turning
- When turning left or right, always look behind you for a break in traffic, then signal before making the turn.
- Watch for left-or-right turning traffic.
(Resource: Go Redmond - Student Traffic Safety)
- Watch for Parked Cars
- Ride far enough from the curb to avoid the unexpected from parked cars (like doors opening or cars pulling out)