Charter School Oversight Key PersonnelCeleste MigliaccioDirector of Secondary Student Achievement and Charter Schools
Bianca BarquinAssistant Superintendent, K-12 Teaching and LearningEmail: email@example.com
Charter School Oversight Overview
Charter schools are tuition free, public schools of choice open to any student. Each charter school is administered by its own governing board. In partnership with its authorized charter schools, the Santa Ana Unified School District works to achieve the goals of continuously improving pupil learning, expanding learning experiences, and providing more choices in the types of educational opportunities that are available within the public school system.
The Santa Ana Unified School District is responsible for ensuring that each of its authorized charter schools operates in compliance with the terms of each of the respective charter petitions and with all applicable laws. As the authorizing entity, the Santa Ana Unified School District must perform the oversight duties specified in California Education Code Section 47604.32:
1. Identify at least one staff member as a contact person for the charter school.
2. Visit each charter school at least annually.
3. Ensure that each charter school under its authority complies with all reports required of charter schools by law.
4. Monitor the fiscal condition of each charter school under its authority.
5. Provide timely notification to the department if the charter is revoked or if the charter school will cease operation for any reason.
Other Santa Ana Unified School District charter school oversight responsibilities include, but are not limited to, providing its authorized charter schools with general guidance and assistance related to funding, educational programs, operations, financial reporting, fiscal and operational audits, and compliance with state and federal requirements.
By providing its authorized charter schools with this and other support, the Santa Ana Unified School District helps to ensure that each of its authorized charter schools is academically accountable and operates in a fiscally and operationally responsible manner.