Thank you Santa Ana Community!
Information About Measure I
The Local School Improvement Bond Measure
Approved by Santa Ana Unified Voters on November 6, 2018
Addressing Facilities Needs at Santa Ana Schools
Many Santa Ana schools were built over 40 years ago and require upgrades and repairs to continue supporting a quality education. Classrooms, labs, and technology need modernization to prepare students for college and careers while deteriorating roofs, plumbing, and electrical systems at many school sites need to be repaired and even replaced.
On July 16, 2018, the SAUSD Board of Education voted to place a $232 million school improvement bond measure on the November 6, 2018 ballot. The measure would cost approximately $24 per $100,000 of assessed (not market) value annually, or about $5.25 per month for the typical homeowner.
Voters approved the Bond measure by a considerable margin. Over 70% voted Yes to approve Measure I, far more than the 55% required to pass the measure.
Local Funding for School Improvements
As approved by local voters, the measure seeks to:
- Provide the classrooms, laboratories, facilities, and technology needed to support high-quality instruction in math, science, engineering, and technology
- Repair or replace deteriorating roofs, plumbing, gas and electrical systems
- Provide modern science labs, engineering labs, and career technical education facilities so students are prepared for college and in-demand careers in fields like health sciences, engineering, technology, robotics, and skilled trades
- Upgrade older schools so they meet the same academic and safety standards as newer schools.
- Replace failing heating and ventilation systems and improve insulation, doors, windows, and irrigation to improve energy and water efficiency and save money
- Remove hazardous materials like asbestos and lead paint from older school sites
The measure also makes SAUSD eligible for up to $62 million in matching funds from the State.
For more details about Santa Ana Unified School District’s school improvement measure, please view the following links:
- Approved Resolution
- Facilities Master Plan
- Master Plan Prioritization: About the 4 Pillars
- Fact Sheet
- English Informational Mailer
- Spanish Informational Mailer
- Vietnamese Informational Mailer
Citizens Bond Oversight Committee
Measure I provides locally controlled funding to repair and improve Santa Ana schools. A citizens’ oversight committee and annual audits are required.
For more details about the CBOC, please view the following links:
If you need more information, have questions about the measure, or want to know more about our facilities needs, please call (714) 480-5356.