Community Advisory Committee (CAC)
The Community Advisory Committee (CAC) is a group of parents, agency, and school representatives who advise the Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) on matters related to special education. The purpose of the CAC is to inform and educate members of the community, so that a broad base of community support and participation is developed. This enables the committee to advise the SELPA in all matters concerning the identification and educational management of individuals with exceptional needs.
Authority and responsibilities of the Community Advisory Committee include, but are not limited to:
- Advising the administration of SAUSD and the Special Education Department in the development of the local comprehensive plan.
- Making recommendations on annual priorities addressed by the plan.
- Assisting in parent education and recruitment of other volunteers.
- Encouraging public involvement in the development and review of the Local Plan.
- Supporting activities on behalf of individuals with exceptional needs.
- Assisting in parent awareness of the importance of school attendance.
From Educational Code-Section 56194(a-f), Article 7