In awarding the Seal of Biliteracy to graduating seniors who meet the requirements, SAUSD seeks to:
- Encourage students to study languages in order to develop and maintain a high academic level of biliteracy and multi-lingual skills in the student population.
- Recognize, value and honor the contributions of the multiple cultures and languages of our community.
- Promote and recognize foreign language instruction in our schools.
- Provide employers with a simple method of identifying future staff with biliterate or multi-literate knowledge and abilities.
- Provide universities with a method of recognizing and giving academic credit to applicants seeking admissions.
- Prepare our students to meet the personal, intellectual and professional challenges of the 21st century.