• Keep College Affordable
    The office of Federal Student Aid (FSA) provides grants, loans, and work-study funds for college or career school.  The FSA offers more than $150 billion each year to help millions of students pay for higher education.

    Financial Aid FAQs

    Q: What do I need to do to get financial aid?
    A: You can fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) through The US Department of Education.

    Q: Who qualifies for financial aid?
    A: If you are a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen, plan to enroll in an eligible degree or certificate program and demonstrate financial need you can fill out the FAFSA.  For general eligibility requirements, visit the Federal Student Aid.
    If you are not a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen and applied for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, you will complete the California Dream Act application instead of the FAFSA.


    Q: How can I get help filing out the FAFSA or California Dream Act application?
    A: Each year Segerstrom HS hosts a financial aid meeting for parents and students in the fall (date TBD).  We invite local college representatives to explain the financial aid process and answer questions. In addition, the Higher Education Center is open on designated Saturday mornings and Wednesday evenings to assist seniors in completing their financial aid application.  Refer to the HEC Calendar for designated dates.
    If you are NOT a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen and applied for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, you will complete the California Dream Act application instead of the FAFSA.

    Q: How do you apply for the Cal Grant?
    A: SAUSD does it for you! In order to be considered for the Cal Grant you must also submit your FAFSA or Cal Dream Act by March 2.  By submitting both applications by March 2 you will be considered for federal and state student financial aid (if eligible). 
    After filing the FAFSA or Cal Dream Act, students should establish a Web Grants for Students (WGS) account. Using WGS, students can see their Cal Grant application status, confirm and update their postal and email addresses, provide the required high school graduation confirmation once they graduate, and can change their college of attendance.

    Q: The UCs might pay for your fees if your family income falls below a certain level. What does your income have to be and what else does it cover?
    A: The UC Blue and Gold Plan will cover educational and student services fees if you are a California resident whose family earns less than $80,000 per year and you qualify for financial aid. Blue and Gold students with sufficient financial need can qualify for even more grant aid to help reduce the cost of attending college.

    Q: I didn't get a lot of financial aid from my college. How else can I get money?
    A: Scholarships and grants! Check the "Scholarships" section. There are scholarships available throughout the year!  Remember you won't earn a scholarship if you don't apply!
    Paying for College  
Last Modified on May 1, 2020