College Algebra combines all of the standards from CCSS Algebra 2 and select standards from CCSS Precalculus. The goal of College Algebra is to provide a foundation of mathematical aptitude that will enable success in an institution of higher learning. Students will be prepared for the transition from “skills-oriented” to more “concept-oriented” college-level mathematics courses. Topics from previous mathematics courses will be reinforced and new material will be introduced to bridge the gap between high school and college mathematics. Students will develop a more mature thought process and be expected to use the independent study to supplement classroom instruction.
- Regular attendance. The responsibility is yours to makeup any work due to absences of any kind. Tardies are included in absence rules.
- Regular effort. There will be assignments virtually every day with tests and quizzes occurring often. You must stay on top of things in order to be successful.
- Extra effort. If you are struggling, please seek assistance. I am available as often as I can to assist you. There will also be other programs available for assistance. Please check Math Tutoring Schedule for more details.
- Precision. Close isn’t good enough. Being accurate is important in math. Working to the best of your ability is expected, not requested.
- Focus. The key to success in this class and in this subject is making sure that the first your items in this list are happening as much as possible. Please do not let frustration turn to failure. You can be successful.
- A binder
- Loose paper for class work and homework
- Pencils/Pen (common color, NOT RED)/High lighters (at least 2 different colors)
- TI 84 Graphing Calculator (recommended). We have a class set to use in class. If you have an Android
phone, you can down load TI 84 for free by following steps from this site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVs0BrG7cJQ
- Chrome book: will be used almost everyday.
Very simple: Classwork: 20%, Homework: 10%, Quizzes: 30%, Test: 40%
IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 3 TIMES MISSING HOMEWORK, YOU WILL NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO IMPROVE YOUR SEMESTER GRADE USING THE RESULT OF THE FINAL (Detail will be discussed in class)
Cheating (on tests, quizzes, projects, homework, etc.) will not be tolerated. All students involved will receive a zero, and parents will be notified. Some examples of cheating include: talking during a test/quiz (regardless of the subject of discussion), looking at pictures of answer keys in your cellphone during a test/quiz, copying a classmate's homework, etc.
Make-up Work –It is the student’s responsibility to get the work missed and any notes from a classmate. IF YOU MISS ANY TEST/QUIZ, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE ARRANGEMENT WITH THE TEACHER TO RE-TAKE IT.
- If a student is absent and the absence is cleared, the student will have the number of days absent to complete the missed work. All missed work (homework, copying notes, tests, quizzes, etc.) must be made up outside of class.
- For absences known about in advance, work (tests, quizzes, homework, etc.) must be made up prior to the absence.
- The student needs to arrange a date for making up tests/quizzes with the teacher within ONE WEEK after coming back from absence.
PROCEDURE for RETAKING TESTS (Tests only, NO QUIZZES)
You cannot retake any test which scores higher than 75%.
If your chapter tests are less than 75%, then you will have a choice to retake the test after attending 45-minute-tutoring session(s). You can only retake 2 chapter Tests/semester.
- All the retaken tests will be “one shot,” and have to be finished within one session (forty-five minutes) either before school (from 7:05am to 7:50am) or after school (from 3:00pm to 3:45pm), depending on the teacher’s schedule.
- It is the student’s responsibility to come on time so there will be enough time to receive tutoring or to take the test.
- No matter what time the student comes, all the tests will be started and stopped at the time listed above. No excuses.
- There will be no tutoring or retaking tests on Fridays.
- If the student wants to retake the test before school and he/she misses the appointment, then the student can only retake after school.
THIS IS YOUR GRADE, AND YOUR SECOND CHANCE, SO BE RESPONSIBLE.
Food / Drink - With the exception of water, no food, drink, gum or candy is allowed in the classroom. If you’re hungry, or feel tired and need food, you need to ask for permission before eating.
Cell phones will not be allowed during my lecture. Leave these electrical devices in his/her backpack and turn them off. Otherwise, they will be confiscated, and the student will be given a referral.
After being verbally warned, if the student doesn’t improve his/her behavior, there will be consequences:
- First checkmark: 15-minute detention after school
- Second checkmark: 30-minute detention after school and parents will be contacted.
- Third checkmark: 1-hour detention after school and parents will be contacted.
- Fourth checkmark: Sent to the office with a referral, and a parent conference will be held.
IF AN ASSIGNED CONSEQUENCE IS MISSED, TIME WILL BE DOUBLED.
You have enrolled in a challenging, college-level mathematics course. You need to treat it as such. Doing what you can to just get by will result in a dangerous academic situation. Please prepare to the best of your ability.
We look forward to a positive and successful semester.
REMEMBER: "THINK GODINEZ," ASK FOR HELP WHENEVER YOU NEED.