English Language Arts
Google Voice Number: (909) 493-6748
Tutoring M,T,Th,F ( 1:40 PM - 2:30 PM ) Zoom Link for Tutoring
Students will develop skills in reading, writing, listening, and speaking. During the course of the year, students will learn to identify key ideas and details from various district approved expository texts and technology-based curriculum software such as StudySync and Nearpod. Reading, writing, listening, and speaking are some of the academic skills students will use in this classroom as they explore curriculum aligned with California Common Core Standards.
Common Core Themes
Citing textual evidence, text analysis, plot structure and development, vocabulary development, character development, narrator point of view
- Reading – Students are expected to read 30 minutes every day. I will be varifying the reading minutes you submit with your parents/guardians on a weekly basis. Reading logs make up 10% of your child’s grade.
- Unfinished Classwork – Students are expected to complete unfinished classwork during tutoring hours or after school. I always make time for students to join me via Zoom before or after school and assist students with schoolwork.
- Classroom assessments such as comprehension tests and vocabulary tests are some of the assessments students will be taking in this class.
- District Benchmarks
- DWA - --District Writing Assessments
- SBAC – Smarter Balanced Testing
- MAP Testing – Measures of Academic Progress
A (90% - 100%)
B (80% - 89%)
C (70% - 79%)
D (60% - 69%)
F (59% and lower)
Classwork = 50%
Assessments = 30%
Reading Logs = 10%
Class Participation = 10%
- Use appropriate language and voice level
- Listen to the teacher and other speakers
- Raise your hand and wait to be called on
- Be on time and prepared
- Follow directions
- Have your Chromebook charged
- Use internet safely
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” ― Dr. Seuss
Students understand that every day they come to school and everything they do outside of school carry both positive and negative consequences. Your child is encouraged to make positive choices. In our classroom consequences will be applied to both positive and negative choices students make.
· + Office Discipline Referral
· Spartan Dollars
· Raffle Tickets
· Referral to Counselor
· - Office Discipline Referral