2021 - 2022
This course is intended to be a college preparatory, laboratory science course. However, all students are welcome regardless of academic path. It will provide credit toward the science graduation requirement.
1st semester: anatomical terms and directions, tissues, integumentary system, skeletal system, muscular system, and nervous system.
2nd semester: special senses, heart and blood vessels, blood, digestive system, nutrition, urinary system, reproductive system, and fetal pig dissection.
Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology, by Martini. The books are an essential part of this class. TAKE CARE OF YOUR BOOK!
Students will come to class prepared DAILY with the following items:
- Pen (standard blue or black ink ONLY!)
- Composition Book (College rule; 100 sheets)
- Lined paper
- Colored Pencils (optional but really helpful!)
- Highlighter (optional but really helpful!)
All assignments will be assigned a point value. You should be monitoring your grade on Aeries all year round. Grades are weighted according to the following:
- Test/Quizzes = 30%
- Homework/Classwork = 20%
- Labs/Projects = 30%
- Final = 20%
The grading scale is as follows:
100 – 90% A
89 – 80% B
79 – 70% C
69 – 60% D
59 – 50% F
IV. Class Rules:
- RESPECT is the rule!
- Students are expected to be polite and behave well. You will be treated as an adult as long as you act like one. Be respectful, polite, and courteous to me and to each other.
- Profanity is not acceptable!
- Personal grooming is not to be done during class time.
- Students are expected to be in their seats before the bell rings.
- No food, drink, or gum in class or lab areas
- Excessive tardiness will result in detention, parent contact, and referrals
- Electronic devices are not to be used during class unless you have permission, or I have said it is ok for the activity.
You will have a homework packet to complete for each chapter. You should also be studying a little every night. This class has a lot of vocabulary and memorization. If you do not put in the work, you will not pass.
If you are absent, you are still responsible for making up the work you missed. You will have two days to complete your homework after the day you return to class. Only if you have an excused absence
It is your job to make up missing assignments. If that is a test or quiz, you are responsible for scheduling a make-up with me within one week of your return to class.
Make up work/tests are only possible if your absence is EXCUSED!
- Lab safety is our number 1 priority!
- Students will perform safe lab techniques while in the lab area.
- All students must sign the safety contract before participating in any labs. I will remove anyone in the lab who is unsafe and they will receive a zero on the assignment. The student may also be removed from all further labs.
- Most labs cannot be made up if you are absent due to scheduling so try not to miss them!
- Dissection is an important part of this class! Don't miss them!
VII. Progressive Discipline Plan:
Behavior should never be an issue. We are all here to learn and we will all respect each other. Students who do not follow the rules will be subject to the following action(s):
- 1st minor offense: warning
- 2nd minor offense: Parent phone call/conference
- 3rd offense: referral to administration
These expectations are subject to change and we all need to be flexible.