Mendez Fundamental Physical Education Program
Welcome to Mendez Fundamental Intermediate. This letter contains the essentials to our physical education program. Please feel free to contact us at (714) 972-7800. Physical education staff- Ms. Delgado, Mr. Glenane, Mrs. Laurenzi, Ms. Madeline, and Mr. Wozniak.
- A six-week grading system was designed to enhance the effectiveness of the program.
- Teachers select the activity of their choice.
- All classes are co-educational.
Locker Room Procedures
- Physical education lockers are issued by the P.E. staff
- Students should not share their lock combinations with anyone, except in the extreme case when they must share a locker.
- Valuables should always be kept locked inside a locker. Mendez Fundamental is not responsible for theft of valuables.
- There is a ZERO Tolerance Policy with cell phones visible in the locker room they will be confiscated and referrals issued.
- Students also must lock their street clothes and backpacks in a BIG LOCKER during class and remove it at the END of the period; and lock up their PE clothes in their Little Locker assigned to them at the END of the period. (Must wash their clothes regularly)
- There is absolutely no horseplay or play fighting allowed at anytime. There is also no food or drinks allowed in the locker room.
- All students are required to be in Mendez P.E. uniform with tennis shoes and socks on a daily basis (there is absolutely no sharing of P.E. uniforms.)
- Should a student forget (or not find) their uniform, they are required to participate in there school clothes. Non-suits will result in disciplinary action such as; teacher detention (15-30 minutes), central detention, campus beautification, home phone calls, letter sent home, referral, and or Saturday school.
- Sweatshirts (school regulations) and sweatpants (black) are allowed for P.E. activity over their P.E. clothes (when appropriate).
- Absolutely No sweatpants or sweatshirts during hot weather. (Athletic leggings are acceptable under thir shorts).
- No Jewelry allowed during PE Activity time.
Each student’s academic grade is comprised of three (3) areas:
- Assessment- California Fitness Test (Fitnessgram)
- Performance- Sport Activities, Quizzes, Projects…etc.
- Citizenship- Non-suits, tardies, behavior/attitude and effort
Star Program- ON HOLD for 2021-2022
At Mendez Fundamental, we use a star program to encourage and reward students who strive for excellence in citizenship, academics, and physical education. Felt stars can be earned in a variety of ways, all of which reach a broad spectrum of students. When a student earns five (5) stars, he/she will be rewarded with a “Star Performer shirt”. These shirts will be provided to the first (150 students/ up to 30 per teacher) who earn them. Students who earn this Star Performer Shirt may wear it in lieu of their regular Mendez Fundamental physical education shirt. (Star Performer shirts are a privilege to wear and can be revoked at anytime.) Must maintain high written work to continue to wear the Star Performer Shirt.
Other Incentive Programs- ON Hold for 2021-2022
Students have the chance to earn Mendez Fitness Patches as well as 6:00-7:30 (various times for genders and grade levels) and below mile shirts. The Mendez patch will be based on their January-March Fitnessgram scores. Students have the opportunity to earn mile shirts approximately five times during the year; first opportunity of the yearis pre-fitness testing and the last opportunity is during post-fitness testing. (Must keep a high fitness level during runs to keep their mile shirt).
Mendez Fundamental usually has highest Fitness test passing rate in the entire Santa Ana Unified School District. More information can be found on the California Department of Education (CDE) Website. Fitness Scores are only a snap shot of the entire school. The PFT is giving to all kids in 5th, 7th, and 9th grades.
It is imperative for your son/daughter to inform their P.E. teacher of any health issues that could help the teacher better service your students. Also it helps the teacher with everyday interaction with your son or daughter.
All P.E. students have second nutrition if they have 3rd period P.E., and second lunch if they have 5th or 6th period P.E./ Schedule switches 2nd Semester. (ALL P.E. STUDENTS HAVE 1ST NUTRITION AND 1ST LUNCH)
Thank you for your continued support!
The P.E. Staff