Renaissance Accelerated Reader and STAR Reading
What is Accelerated Reader?
AR is a reading program for first through eighth grade students that . . .
Manages student reading
Monitors student’s comprehension
Motivates students to read
Increases the volume, quality, and enjoyment of reading
Why do we need Accelerated Reader®?
- Alarming statistics point out that elementary school students are spending less and less time reading independently
- The Accelerated Reader®program challenges all readers – from the novice to the most advanced bookworms - to read more quality literature at their own level
How does AR work?
- The student takes an assessment test to determine their reading level
- This “STAR” test is generally given once a quarter and is designed to identify a student’s range of independent reading.
- The student is given an independent reading level rating (ZPD) based on their STAR test results.
- Student reads a book in their reading level chosen from a list of over 110,000 books with AR quizzes available.
- The target is to find material that is not too easy or too frustrating
- Students have access to over 110,000 quizzes
- After reading the book, the student takes a quiz on the book using a classroom computer
- Each quiz is 5 - 20 multiple choice questions
- Student goal is to score 80% or higher on each quiz
How can parents help?
- Encourage your child to read
- Make time at home for reading
- Shut down distractions
- Ask your child about his or her book
- Donate a needed book to our library or your child’s classroom.
Helping students help themselves to become better readers