Nigel Lythgoe, co-creator, executive producer, and judge on Emmy-award winning show "So You Think You Can Dance" and executive producer of "American Idol", visited Willard Intermediate School, one of the schools that he mentors as part of the national Turnaround Artsprogram, on Wednesday, October 12, 2016.
Engage 360° has replaced the existing after school program the Think Together. This program will provide students with a safe environment that is a true extension of the academic school day. Students will engage in meaningful academic support, varied enrichment, nutrition and physical activities that will accelerate student outcomes linked to LCAP goals.
Nigel Lythgoe, creator and judge of the Fox Television show, "So You Think You Can Dance" is Willard Intermediate's Turnaround Artist, Yeah!. Check out this video to hear Mr. Lythgoe share his excitement about helping develop the arts at Willard.
Dear Willard Intermediate School Community,
I am proud to be the Principal at Willard Intermediate School and look forward to another exciting school year.
Willard is a Turnaround Arts: California partner school, part of a national public-private partnership that leverages the arts to help turn around the nation's lowest performing schools, Turnaround Arts: California is one of twelve localities from across the nation selected by the President's Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, in partnership with the U.S. Department of Education, the National Endowment for the Arts, and several private foundations. More information is available at turnaroundartsca.org.
We had many exciting accomplishments last year. Our students performed in their first musical, “You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown." We held our first “pep rallies” at lunch for increased school spirit. There was high involvement in National History Day, after school sports, FCA club, Dance club, Ambassadors, Math Field Day, and many more. Our students are involved and engaged while at school.
Willard Intermediate School has exciting opportunities for students through academics and clubs. This year we will be expanding our music program to include orchestra. As a STEAM school we offer many different types of electives such as Digital Media Arts, Design and Modeling, Art, orchestra, drum line, band, advanced band, choir, advanced choir, and more.
We welcome parents and encourage you to come by the school and see for yourself. We have a great partnership between parents, staff, students, teacher, and administration. Together we will continue to provide the best for our students.
Willard Intermediate School
Principal: Mrs. Amy Scruton
Assistant Principal: Mr. Ryan Ramirez
Assistant Principal: Mr. Steve Bayouk
Current Building and Site
Date Built and/or Occupied 1974
Remodeled in 2011-12
Famous People Who Have Attended
Rob Richardson, SAUSD Board Member
History of Name
Frances E. Willard
Willard Intermediate School is named after Frances E. Willard, an American educator, temperance reformer, and women's suffragist. Her influence was instrumental in the passage of the Eighteenth (Prohibition) and Nineteenth (Women Suffrage) Amendments to the United States Constitution. Her vision progressed to include federal aid to education and free school lunches, unions for workers, the eight-hour work day, work relief for the poor, municipal sanitation and boards of health, national transportation, and protections against child abuse.
A Short History of Willard Intermediate School
In 1912, Santa Ana’s first junior high school opened at Ninth and Main Streets. It was housed in the old high school building which had been built in 1900. This first junior high was known simply as Santa Ana Junior High School. In 1922, a new junior high school, Julia C. Lathrop, opened on south Main Street.
The old junior high school was renamed Francis E. Willard Junior High School after the popular abolitionist who spoke out against the evils of alcohol and also championed the rights of women, helping win them the right to vote. The first meeting of the faculty was held on September 8, 1923. Willard’s first principal was William S. Kellogg. Willard remained at Ninth and Main Streets until June of 1931, when the old building was condemned.
The new Willard Junior High School was designed by the architecture firm of Allison and Allison. It was demolished in June/July 1971.T
A new building of Spanish design opened on the present site in September, 1931. It contained a beautiful auditorium and cafeteria. The first principal of the new school was Lyle B. Mitchell. Mr. Mitchell was principal of Willard for 26 years (1929-1955), and the school had only seven principals in its first 62 years.
During the 1970-71 school year, the second Willard building was also condemned for not meeting earthquake safety codes. The school was closed suddenly on a Friday and re-opened on a Monday on a half-day session at Santa Ana High School. The following two years were spent in bungalows on the athletic field until the current building was opened in September, 1973 when the school re-opened on Ross Street it became an intermediate school with grades 6-7-8 (rather than 7-8-9).
The new Willard Intermediate School opened in September 1973. It was designed by the Blu Rock Partnership; its sister school Lathrop Intermediate was built at the same time and is virtually identical.
In the spirit of continuing improvement of facilities and education at Willard, the current building and facilities are being renovated, with plans for a new two story structure to replace the bungalows, all new technology and science labs, and an all weather track and artificial turf field.
The Landmark Fig Tree
About 20 years after the city fathers decided to found Santa Ana, George W. Ford brought an Australian rubber tree, known as the Moreton Bay Fig of Australia to the city and planted it on the grounds of his residence, where Willard Intermediate now stands.
William C. Watkins, in the employ of Mr. Ford, who was renowned as a nurseryman, planted the tree in 1889, and believed it was about two years at the time.
Although the school buildings have long since replaced Mr. Ford’s Nursery, the tree has remained a landmark of “time was” in Santa Ana, along with a collection of Washington Palms, Camphor trees, and Star Pines.
The botanical name of the Moreton Bay Fig is Ficus Macrophylla. Evidence that it belongs to the same family as the edible fig is said to be proven by its fruit and milky sap.
The George Ford Home was moved from the Willard school site to the northwest corner of 15th and Ross Streets in 1931.
- History written by Ken Leavens 9/16/1985