Ms. Caroline Van de Merghel
English Language Arts: Grades 6 and 7
For a printable version of the syllabus, click here.
School Phone Number: (714) 568-7700
If you would like to set up a meeting, please call or email. I am available to assist students after school by appointment.
Grading will be conducted as follows:
A - 90-100%
B - 80-89%
C - 70-79%
D - 60 - 69%
F - 59% and below
Grades will consist of the following categories:
Classwork and Homework - 60%
Exams - 20%
Reading Counts - 20%
Because Reading Counts is 20% of a student’s grade, it is very difficult to earn anything above a C if students are not reading at home. Please ensure your child is reading at least 30 minutes each night, including weekends. If your child does not enjoy reading, I can work with him/her to find books that may be more appealing. Other homework will be assigned as necessary.
Late work will not be accepted. If a student is absent, work due the day of the absence is due upon return. For excused absences, students will have the number of days they were absent to make up any missing work. Students are responsible for getting missed assignments and turning them in on time.
Although late work is not accepted, students can earn unlimited extra credit by reading books and passing Reading Counts quizzes. Students must surpass their minimum required word count in order to earn extra credit.
- Allow Miss Van de Merghel to teach without disruption.
- Keep hands, feet, objects, and unkind thoughts to yourself!
- Pay attention to the curriculum so learning can happen!
- Treat yourself and others with respect. Respect yourself by arriving on time prepared for class. Respect others by treating them well. Respect our classroom by keeping it clean and orderly.
- Be in your seat when the bell rings, and stay in your seat unless you have permission to do otherwise.
- If the teacher is out of the classroom, do not enter the room.
Students can earn or lose points based on behavior and participation. Our classroom is a positive place and a productive environment, so class disruptions will not be tolerated.
Points may be added for reasons such as, but not limited to:
- Always being on time and ready to learn
- Being kind to others
- Modeling appropriate behavior
- Working cooperatively when placed in pairs or groups
Points may be subtracted for reasons such as, but not limited to:
- Being tardy
- Disrupting class
- Being unkind or rude
- Refusing to work with partners or group members
Citizenship grades will be given based on how well a student follows the day-to-day rules and procedures of the classroom as well has how the student treats others. In order to earn an “Outstanding” citizenship grade, a student must be polite, kind, respectful, follow directions the first time, etc. In other words, their behavior must be outstanding to earn an “O.”
Work Habit Grades:
Work habit grades will generally be given based on the letter grade earned in the course.
Course Grade - Work Habit Grade
A - Outstanding
B - Satisfactory
C - Satisfactory
D - Needs improvement
F - Unacceptable