TEACH Academy in the News"TEACH Academy launches partnership with the Attallah School of Education at Chapman University"
Attallah CollegeDecember 4, 2019
We hope you had a restful fall break. Good luck to everyone preparing for finals; let’s finish the semester strong! The student-run Attallah College Undergraduate Newsletter is your monthly update of important events, developments, and stories within the Attallah College of Educational Studies. If you have any questions or suggestions for our newsletter, please email attallahleadershipcouncil@
chapman.edu. Click on any image for more information! What to expect in this issue:
Click on a tab to jump to that section!
(Not available on mobile devices)
Events Opportunities Scholarships Spotlights
MACI Application Deadline
For sophomores interested in applying to the Accelerated MA in Curriculum & Instruction (MACI) Program, applications are due by January 15, 2020! Click here for more information. For any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Interterm 2020 Registration Deadline
Be sure to register your Interterm 2020 internship by Tuesday, January 14 at 5 pm to receive academic credit!
Click here to register or to learn more.
Fall 2020 Study Abroad Deadline
Applications for Fall 2020 semester abroad programs are open and are due on Friday, December 6.
Global First Steps Meeting for Fall 2020 Study Abroad
Info Session for TEACH Program at Century High School
- December 4 & 5
- Click here for available times.
- If you are applying for Fall 2020, be sure to RSVP & attend the mandatory Global First Steps session before Friday, December 5. Space is limited!
- This session is optional for students interested in travel courses and international internships.
- Students who attended First Steps in Spring 2019 do not need to attend again and can email firstname.lastname@example.org to start an application.
- Wednesday, December 4
- 4:00-5:00 pm
- Reeves Conference Room 120
- We are looking for Chapman students to help mentor high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors as 1st generation college students for internship or fieldwork experience! James Overson from TEACH Academy will be speaking about the program’s needs and partnership for spring 2020. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Heidi Sublette at email@example.com.
Fall 2019 IES Senior Symposium
- Friday, December 6
- 1:30 - 3:40 pm
- Argyros Forum 201
- Come show your support for IES seniors as they present their capstone research projects! Click here to view the schedule and the list of student presenters.
- The Dean’s Session & Reception (3:10-3:40 pm) will feature one IES student who has done outstanding research. Seating is limited, so be sure to RSVP for this special presentation!
- For any questions, please contact Kelly McCuen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education Roundtable on Excellent Schools
- Tuesday, December 10
- 3:30 - 6:30 pm
- AF 209A
- Attallah College's 8th Education Roundtable on Excellent Schools will bring together educators, industry professionals, & community members to discuss how to effectively partner businesses with education to support career pathways for underserved students in Orange County.
- Click here for the full program and details on the panelists. RSVP is required by Wednesday, December 4! Free and open to the public.
Paid and unpaid jobs and internships as well as volunteer positions in the community!
Hoag Classic Brand Ambassador
- Due: December 25, 11:30am
- This is a great opportunity to engage with the community and practice your marketing & communication skills. Brand ambassadors will represent Hoag Classics by assisting with promotion at locations across Orange County. The salary is $12/hour & bonus opportunities are available. For more information, click here.
- To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Demi Dailey at ddailey@hoagcharitysports.
TEACH Program at
Century High School
- This program develops a strong foundation for college-bound high school students interested in becoming educators and role models in their community. Chapman students will be able to co-develop lessons and activities with the students and share their college experience.
- This program can serve as a fieldwork experience or an internship for Chapman students.
- To learn more about the program or to get involved, please contact Dr. Heidi Subblette at email@example.com.
AVID Tutors Needed!
- Orange Unified School District is hiring part-time AVID Tutors for middle/high schools. Tutors will receive brief training and assist with AVID elective class tutorials, which are held twice a week. Hours are flexible, but there is a need for Monday-Friday mornings and afternoons. The salary is $14.44/hour. Click here for more details or apply here.
- For any questions, please contact Laura Kresl, Coordinator for K-12 Innovation & Instructional Design, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 714.628.5658.
Think Together Job Positions
- Program Leader: This is an exciting opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with children on a part-time basis. Works directly with an assigned class of about 20-25 students & serves as a positive role model, mentor, and coach.
- Older Youth Leader: Provides high-quality, specialized enrichment activities for middle school and/or high school students during “out of school” hours using established youth development strategies.
- Check out more employment and volunteer opportunities!
- For questions or to have a recruiter directly contact you, please email ThinkCareers@thinktogether.org
Learning Enterprises Program
- Priority deadline: January 1
- Regular deadline: February 14
- Learning Enterprises is looking for volunteers to teach English abroad this summer in one of nine possible countries, including Romania, Thailand, and Brazil. There is no program fee, making it one of the most affordable ways to volunteer abroad!
- Summer 2020 applications are still open & reviewed on a rolling basis. Click here for the application. For any questions, check out the FAQ page at the bottom of this website or email email@example.com.
The Laurel Foundation Winter Family Camp
- Application Deadline: January 1
- Training dates: January 25-26
- Camp dates: February 14-18
- The Laurel Foundation serves children and families impacted by HIV/AIDS, as well as transgender & gender diverse youth. They are seeking camp counselors for the 2020 Winter Family Camp who are interested in making a difference in the lives of campers and joining a dynamic volunteer community.
- For any questions, please contact Lisa Hardiman at LHardiman@Laurel-Foundation.
org or call (626) 683-0800.
TEACH Senior, Jackie Tello, wins top award in literary contest.
TEACH Senior, Jackie Tello, wins top award in literary contest.
TEACH Senior, Jackie Tello, wins top award in literary contest.Member of the T.E.A.C.H. Academy Advisory Committee held their fall 2018 meeting in UCI's School of Education on Wednesday, October 24. The T.E.A.C.H. Academy at Century High School, Santa Ana...Facing a critical teacher shortage, school districts open teacher academies to motivate and attract aspiring educators before they enter college.
TEACH Academy highlighted in educational leadership newsletter"
Senior Luis Diaz becomes Educators Rising California’s first Student President!
Senior TEACH student Luis Diaz is highlighted in statewide newsletter
TEACH senior Vanessa Flores wins a jukebox at the Kiwanis luncheon.
TEACH Academy students attend the Kiwanis luncheon in which they were honored for their many hours of community service.Members of the Century High School TEACH Advisory Board met at UC Irvine on November 1 to discuss activities planned for the 2017-2018 school year.
Educators Rising CaliforniaCreative Lecture Competition: First Place Winner Junior Luis Diaz"Teacher career pathways growing, but not fast enough to tackle state’s teacher shortage" on EdSource by Fermin LealARTICLE LINK: http://edsource.org/2016/teacher-career-pathways-growing-but-not-fast-enough-to-tackle-states-teacher-shortage/562661
- December 4 & 5