• It is never too early to learn about financial aid. In the broadest sense, financial aid includes four areas of support: grants, loans, work-study, and scholarships. Most families that are looking for financial aid are focused on the GRANT portion of the financial aid definition. All students who graduate from Valley High School are eligible to apply for financial aid, regardless of their family situation. We encourage you to look for our financial aid events, and to reach out to your counselor, Higher Ed. Coordinator, and our college access partners if you need assistance or have further questions.

    Check out SAUSD resource page for information on Financial Aid:



    California Student Aid Commission presentation on financial aid: February 6, 2024

    English Presentation

    Spanish Presentation

  • Q: Who qualifies for financial aid?
    A: If you are a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen, plan to enroll in an eligible degree or certificate program and demonstrate financial need you can fill out the FAFSA.  For general eligibility requirements, visit the Federal Student Aid
    If you are not a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen and applied for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, you will complete the California Dream Act application instead of the FAFSA.
    Q: How can I get help filing out the FAFSA or California Dream Act application?
    A: Each year Valley HS hosts a financial aid meeting for parents and students in the fall (date TBD).  We invite local college representatives to explain the financial aid process and answer questions. In addition, the Higher Education Center staff is available on designated Wednesday evenings to assist seniors, and families of seniors, in completing their financial aid application.  
    If you are NOT a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen and applied for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, you will complete the California Dream Act Application instead of the FAFSA.
    Q: How do you apply for the Cal Grant?
    A: Applying for Cal Grant is a two step process.
    1. Submit a financial aid application by March 2nd
    2. Submit your unweighted, 10-11th academic GPA to the California Student Aid Commission by March 2nd
    Here's the GOOD NEWS: SAUSD does Step 2 for you!
    After filing the FAFSA or Cal Dream Act, students should establish a Web Grants for Students (WGS) account. Using WGS, students can see their Cal Grant application status, confirm and update their postal and email addresses, provide the required high school graduation confirmation once they graduate, and can change their college of attendance.
    Q: The UCs might pay for your fees if your family income falls below a certain level. What does your income have to be and what else does it cover?
    A: The UC Blue and Gold Plan will cover educational and student services fees if you are a California resident whose family earns less than $80,000 per year and you qualify for financial aid. Blue and Gold students with sufficient financial need can qualify for even more grant aid to help reduce the cost of attending college.
    Q: I didn't get a lot of financial aid from my college. How else can I get money?
    A: Scholarships and grants! Check the SCHOLARSHIPS section. There are scholarships available throughout the year!  Remember you won't earn a scholarship if you don't apply!