Join us on Friday, April 18th. The physical education department would like to invite parents and family members 18 years and older to join their student to power walk, jog, or run the Cougar mile. We ask that you please check in the front office and get a name tag, then join us on the basketball courts.
Every student in 7th grade must present an immunization record showing a whooping cough (Tdap) vaccine after age 7, before starting school in August 2014. Parents are encouraged to have their children immunized now and submit proof to the school’s office for uninterrupted registration.
History of Our Name
On October 27, 1869, William Henry Spurgeon bought 74.25 acres of land for $594.00. On Dec. 13, 1870 he hired George Wright to lay out the 24 square blocks for his town which he named Santa Ana. He was appointed the first postmaster for the town. He served as storekeeper, mayor, alderman and marshal. At his own expense he cut a 3 mile long road through the mustard grass so that the stage company could serve Santa Ana. In 1889 voters elected Santa Ana as the county seat. Mr. Spurgeon lived to see his dream take root and thrive. In March, 2011, Spurgeon Intermediate School technology and journalism students created the Wikipedia entry for William Henry Spurgeon.
Date Built and Occupied
Spurgeon Intermediate School was completed in 1974 and opened for the 1974-1975 school year.
The Board of Education at the time of the school's opening consisted of members: John R. Schilling, Cordelia Gutierrez, Richard W. Iron, D.D., Charles K. Paskerian Jr. Charles F. Kenney Ed. D., Superintendent; Howard R. Harrison, Associate Superintendent.
William Blurock and Partners, were the architects who designed Spurgeon's open-space school.
When Spurgeon opened its doors in 1974, it served about 900 sixth through eighth grade students. At that time, the campus consisted of a two-story main building serving all classes except those in physical education and music. Unique to Spurgeon's building is the second floor mezzanine overlooking its four state-of-the-art computer labs. Initially the home to its media center/library, the raised central area in the main building was redesigned in 2000 by Mr. Russ Ford, Title I Program Specialist, to house the new technology labs. For the opening of the 2011-2012 school year, a second classroom building was completed including the outside commons area and physical education area. Because of the great impact Mr. Ford had on the entire Spurgeon community during his 32 year tenure at Spurgeon, the new building was named Russ Ford Hall in his honor.
Spurgeon's School Colors
Former Spurgeon Students